Friday, May 25, 2007

Star Wars: Faith Beyond Science



You know few things in life make me feel old. I basically feel like the same man I was in my 20’s. I am in good shape accept for those few moments my back seem to say otherwise, I feel very attractive most of the time and I’m fairly intelligent…at least my mother tells me I am. Overall it’s not a bad outlook to have on your self but I have to say today I feel old or perhaps young…that’s the odd paradox of it all. Star Wars came to the theaters 30 years ago May 25th 1977. I think in all sincerity it was the first time my brother and I actually got along. I can still remember like yesterday how it felt when the music first started and those words from the opening title crawl came up it was almost like time completely stopped. I’m not sure why that movie was so important to men my age but there is little in life that has had as much of an impact on me as that did…that one brief moment that seems as real to me as my first kiss. The movie was appropriately called A New Hope. Evil was about to triumph with its great victory over good. All seemed hopeless for those who stood for justice but through the courage and boldness of one boy and his faith in the Force he brought victory to the rebels and a renewed hope/inspiration to countless beings throughout the galaxy. Reminding us once more that we can make a difference, that what we do does and can matter. This movie wasn’t about the promotion of any particular doctrine of faith but instead spoke to the hearts of all those who were open to hearing its message. This timeless story of how good always triumphs evil. Of course Luke did look pretty smoking in that film. I know he was my first crush!

This movie once more inspires me to remember there is always hope but often we can never see it because we don’t take our eyes off of our circumstances long enough to look at the bigger picture. There are many parts of creation that we will never understand and I have come to realize that faith is beyond what science is looking for!

Happy 30th Birthday Star Wars…its nice knowing a part of that 8 year old boy still lives in me to this day.


Episode IV
A New Hope

It is a period of civil war. Revel spaceships, striking from a hidden base, have won their first victory against the evil Galactic Empire.

During the battle, Rebel spies managed to steal secret plans to the Empire’s ultimate weapon, the DEATH STAR, an armored space station with enough power to destroy an entire planet.

Pursued by the Empire’s sinister agents, Princess Leia races home aboard her starship, custodian of the stolen plans that can save her people and restore freedom to the galaxy…

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What are you talking about you are old!! ;-)
Just checking to see if you paying attention!
Your Favorite! BKR